California Laws Regarding Home Schooling with Applied Scholastics Online


What are the laws regarding immunization shots?

According to the regulations of the immunization bill which passed in 2015, Bill 277 SEC. 3. Section 120335 of the Health and Safety Code is amended to read: Students who are enrolled in a public or private school must have immunizations but, students who homeschool[1] OR are enrolled in a home-based private school[2] OR enrolled in an independent study[3] program shall be exempt from immunization”. If you are in California and enrolled with us as a homeschooler or in our independent study program you do not have to immunize your child. If you wish to immunize your child we provide all the necessary forms required by the Department of Health.

[1] Homeschool (CA definition): full-time education in the home by a parent or guardian who does not necessarily possess a teaching credential.

[2] Home-based private school: this would be the home in which the parent has filed a private school for their child(ren).

[3] Independent study is a different way of learning. In independent study, a student is guided by a teacher but usually does not take classes with other students every day

What laws apply to me homeschooling with Applied Scholastics Online Academy (APS Online) in the state of CA?

APS Online is registered as a private school within the state of California. We are fully WASC[1]accredited[2]. All students who enroll on our services are considered “homeschoolers” and the parents are the teachers. In the state of California homeschooling is defined as “full-time education in the home by a parent or guardian who does not necessarily possess a teaching credential.” Students on our Weekly Service are considered independent homeschoolers under the guidance of our credentialed staff.

Legal reference: California Court of Appeals case Jonathan L. v. Superior Court

[1] WASC: The Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) is a non-profit organization that evaluates the quality and educational effectiveness of schools, colleges, and universities. WASC is one of six regional accreditation agencies in the United States.

[2] WASC accredited: WASC accreditation is a school improvement process and therefore is a process that serves as the foundation for quality education. An accredited school is a statement to the broader community and the stakeholders that it is trustworthy institution for student learning and committed to ongoing improvement.

What laws apply to me homeschooling with Applied Scholastics Online Academy in states outside CA?

What if I don't have time to teach my child? Can I hire a teacher or full-time tutor?

According to California Education Code 48224, “A child can be privately tutored by a state-certified[1] private tutor and instructed for at least three hours a day for 175 days each calendar year and be available between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.” If you have a certified tutor in mind, great! Your other option is to enroll in our Weekly Service where our certified staff oversee your child’s progress.

[1] Certified: The tutor or other person who holds a valid state credential for the grade taught.

Can I file my own private school affidavit (PSA) with the Dept. of Education to get around the CA laws of having a certified tutor/teacher instruct my child?

Yes, you can file your own PSA and legally hire an instructor who is capable of teaching your child[1]. However, this only applies to your child in your home.

If you want to have other children at your “private school” (in your home) you would be subject to all of the local city, county and state guidelines of a private school. This includes but is not limited to: inspections by the fire department, specialized toilets and sinks for younger children, ensuring your property and building meet all building code requirements, filing reports with the department of education, mandatory immunization shots, etc.

[1] Per CA Ed. Code 48224 private school teachers do not require certification, they must only “be capable of teaching”.

Get started today! Call 951-789-0224 or email us.